Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

If have a question that is not addressed in this document, please contact the Association President or another Board Director for assistance.

What is the proper mailing address for the Association? - Top

PO Box 162
Fairfax Station, VA 22039

The Association does not have a phone or fax number. Please reference the “Who’s Who” section for additional contact information.

When are meetings of the Association conducted? - Top

The Board of Directors generally meets once per month. The date and location for each meeting is posted on the web site and calendar. These meetings are open to Members and provide an opportunity to ask questions or make comments during the “Members Forum”.

The Annual Meeting of the Association is held each year in early November. Among the business conducted is the election of directors to the board.

Who is responsible for operating the Association? - Top

The Association is comprised of all lot owners of the 539 homes in the community. The members elect five (5) Directors on rotating 3-year terms to conduct the business of the Association. Additionally, the Board elects officers, appoints committee chairs and volunteers who are responsible for specific activities. None of the Directors or other volunteers receives any form of compensation for their service.

Contact information for these volunteers can be accessed in the “Who’s Who” section.

How is the Association organized? - Top

The Association is a non-stock corporation. The framework consists of governing documents: the Articles of Incorporation, the Declaration of Covenants, and By-Laws. The Association is also required to conform other applicable laws and regulations such a as the Virginia Non Stock Corporation Act and the Virginia Property Owners Association Act.

The governing documents are located on the web site – on the right side bar “FSHOA Documents” and then under “Association Legal Records”.

How can I participate or volunteer? - Top

The Association is an organization that relies on volunteers to operate – from the actual running of the organization to the many projects and fun events we sponsor each year.

You can get involved in several different ways. You can volunteer to join a committee by contacting the committee chair – the contact information is listed under the “Who’s Who” section.

You can run for the Board of Directors. Elections are held each November, but you should consider self-nomination when the notifications are mailed to all residents in September.

You can also contact the Association President, or other Director, to offer your services and discuss where your talents are most needed. We recognize that time is precious – so even if you can only spare a few hours a year, we can find a role for you.

What are assessments and how are they determined? - Top

The governing documents permit each lot owner to be assessed an annual fee for the operation of the Association. In 2014, the fee is $178 per lot.

The Board of Directors has the authority to increase this amount annually, if necessary, to the Consumer Price Index for the Washington, DC metropolitan area, or 5%, whichever is greater.

An assessment invoice is mailed to each lot owner in January and is due promptly.

If you have a question regarding the assessment, please contact the Associations Treasurer at

The members must approve any assessments above this amount or special assessments (one-time fees in addition to the annual assessment). This process is explained in detail in the By-Laws under Article XIV.

What is a pipe stem account and why do certain lot owners have to contribute to this fund? - Top

The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) maintains the main roads in our neighborhood, but the pipe stems (or extended drives shared by several lot owners) are not – the lot owners on each particular stem maintain these drives.

Each year the Association determines a fee, per square foot, that each affected lot owner must contribute. These monies are held in escrow so that lot owners can access these funds for future road repairs. For additional information go to the “Roads & Common Drives”.

Does the Association have insurance? - Top

Yes, the Association maintains two insurance plans. The first plan includes General Liability, Director and Officer Liability, Environmental Impairment Liability, Employee Dishonesty and a Workers Compensation component.

The second is a $25 Million umbrella policy that provides additional coverage.

The Association maintains these insurance plans as protection in the event of action against the community.

What is the role of the Architectural Review Board (ARB)? - Top

The ARB, established in Article X of the By-Laws, is responsible to regulate the external design, appearance and locations of properties and improvements in such a manner as to preserve and enhance values and to maintain a harmonious relationship among structures and the natural vegetation and topography.

Specifically the ARB reviews and approves applications of lot owners for improvements or modifications, periodically inspect properties for compliance with architectural standards, adopt architectural standards, adopt procedures of its duties, and maintains a complete and accurate record of all actions taken.>

Currently the ARB consists of a five (5)-Member committee on 3-year rotating terms. Additional information regarding the ARB can be accessed “ARB Notes” under the “FSHOA” tab on the web site.

Who maintains the main roads in the community? How do I file a complaint or offer a compliment? - Top

The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) maintains the main roads.

Phone: 703-383-8368 or 1-800-367-7623



If you contact them to report a pothole or other maintenance issue, please note the confirmation number and forward it to so we can track the progress of your request.

What is a restrictive covenant? - Top

A covenant is a type of contractual arrangement. A restrictive covenant is a clause in a deed or lease to real property that limits what the owner of the land or lease can do with the property. Restrictive covenants allow surrounding property owners, who have similar covenants in their deeds, to enforce the terms of the covenants in a court of law. They are intended to enhance property values by controlling development.

Definition provided courtesy of The Free Dictionary by Farlex.

What are the restrictive covenants for our Association? - Top

The restrictive covenants are outlined in Article VI of The Declaration of Covenants located under “FSHOA Documents” and then under “Association Legal Records” on the web page.

Are there additional rules or policies that govern Association members and lots? - Top

Yes, the Board of Directors is authorized to pass resolutions, or rules, that can apply to individual lots, the common areas, Members and guests. These policies can be located under “FSHOA Documents”.

Can a Member submit a complaint for a suspected covenant violation - Top

Yes, each homeowner has a responsibility to ensure that Members abide by the rules of the Association. If you suspect a covenant violation, you can contact our management company, FirstService Residential, at 703-385-1133 or send an email to Your report will be kept confidential.